Amethyst: The February Birthstone
Amethyst is a beautiful purple variety of quartz that has been prized for centuries for its beauty and unique properties. It is the birthstone for the month of February, and is said to represent peace, inner strength, and wisdom.
History and Mythology
Amethyst has a long and rich history, dating back to ancient Greece and Egypt. The Greeks believed that amethyst could prevent drunkenness and promote sobriety. In Egypt, amethyst was considered a sacred stone that was associated with the god Osiris.
Amethyst Meaning and Symbolism
Amethyst is associated with a variety of positive meanings and symbols, including:
- Peace and tranquility
- Inner strength and wisdom
- Spiritual awareness
- Protection from negative energy
- Royalty and luxury
Amethyst and the Chakras
Amethyst is said to be associated with the crown chakra, which is the highest chakra in the body. It is associated with spiritual enlightenment, wisdom, and universal love.
Amethyst is a popular gemstone that is used in a variety of jewellery, including rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. It is also used in carvings, sculptures, and other decorative objects.
Amethyst is also believed to have a number of healing properties. It is said to be helpful for relieving stress, anxiety, and depression. It is also said to be beneficial for physical health, such as boosting the immune system and reducing pain.
Choosing an Amethyst
When choosing an amethyst, consider the following factors:
- Color: Amethyst can range in color from light lavender to deep purple.
- Clarity: Amethyst can be found in a variety of clarities, from translucent to opaque.
- Cut: Amethyst can be cut into a variety of shapes, including round, oval, marquise, and pear.
- Carat weight: Amethyst is available in a wide range of carat weights.
Caring for Your Amethyst
Amethyst is a relatively durable gemstone, but it is still important to take care of it properly. Here are a few tips:
- Store your amethyst in a cool, dry place.
- Clean your amethyst with a soft cloth and mild soap and water.
- Avoid exposing your amethyst to harsh chemicals.
- Have your amethyst regularly checked by a jeweller to ensure that it is not damaged.
Amethyst is a beautiful and versatile gemstone that has been prized for centuries. It is the birthstone for the month of February, and is associated with a variety of positive meanings and symbols. Whether you are looking for a piece of jewellery to add to your collection or a gemstone with healing properties, amethyst is a great choice.
Check out our Amethyst Earrings and Bracelets, a great birthstone gift